June 14, 2016
After Apple announced Picture in Picture mode for iOS in iOS 9, it has become a extremely useful feature for those who like to multitask as they work on their iOS device. Most entertainment apps finally caught up over the following months by adding PiP support to their apps, however Netflix still didn’t offer this feature, albeit more difficult as they weren’t using the stock iOS video player. This all changed today when Netflix announced their latest app update with the addition of PiP but only for devices running the latest 9.3.2 firmware. Knowing that the PiP APIs were introduced back in 9.0, I decided to take a look and see if this version restriction can be bypassed and it can for anyone running a jailbroken device.
If you are running a jailbroken device then following these instructions should enable the feature for you without any issues, however as always follow the instructions carefully and any damage caused is entirely your responsibility. This has only been tested on iOS 9.1, but should work on any 9.x firmware.
- Install OpenSSH or MTerminal
- Log in or SSH into your iOS device as root (default password is alpine)
- If you are planning to keep OpenSSH installed on your device then please change your root password, instructions on how to do so can be found here.
- Navigate to the following directory: /System/Library/CoreServices/
- If you are using SSH then use your preferred editor to open SystemVersion.plist, I used nano to edit the file.
- If you are using MTerminal then you will need to install your preferred editor on Cydia.
- Open the file and navigate down to the ProductBuildVersion key and change the string value to 13F72.
- Go down to the Product Version key and change the string value to 9.3.2, as shown below.
- Now save and exit out of the editor, uninstall OpenSSH if you don’t plan on using it again. (Note: if you are using Pangu 9.0.x Untether then it will try to uninstall this when using Cydia as it thinks the system version is in fact 9.3.2 and therefore unsupported)
- Reboot your device, it will appear as if you have upgraded your device and ask you to log into iCloud, however everything is still in tact and you are still running the original version of the OS.
- Ensure you are on the latest version of the Netflix app and choose a title to watch, press the home button and now you should have a PiP view of the title.
September 25, 2011
For years people have been jailbreaking their iOS devices to run things that Apple won’t allow, whether it be apps or themes. They’ve never actively done a lot against the jailbreaking community, until now.
I’m due to take my iPhone into the Apple Store due to some hardware issues, but of course I was running a jailbroken iOS 4.3.2, so I spent 3 hours trying to restore it. It got stuck in a constant restore cycle. I tried using RecBoot, TinyUmbrella and iRecovery to try and get it out of it but it just wouldn’t work.
Turns out that Apple have now updated iTunes to check the hosts file on the computer and if there is an entry under ‘gs.apple.com’ it will put your device into a constant restore cycle. This is because some of the tools used for jailbreaking will add the ‘gs.apple.com’ entry to the hosts file to stop the local machine talking back to the server. Of course it’s simple to remove the entry and restore but for whose who don’t know about this will be stuck with a very expensive paperweight. It does rise some other issues, some people may have very large host files and therefore it will simply take too long and then iTunes will assume the device is jailbroken and put it into the constant recovery cycle.
September 1, 2010
Apple has announced it’s 6th generation iPod Nano, a complete new design as usual but with this new design comes some loss of features. It now sports a multi-touch display which allows double tap to zoom and a two finger gesture to rotate. It’s 46% smaller and 42% lighter than the previous model and has volume buttons on the side along with a clip on the back. The battery will last you 24 hours of audio playback but seems there is no sign of video playback and the camera has gone.
So overall you gain the multi-touch display but lose video playback and video recording using the built-in camera on the 5th generation nano. Prices are set at 8GB for £129/$149 and £159/$179 for 16GB, pre-orders are being taken now.
Update: It seems that according to Apple Reps the iPod Nano isn’t running the iOS just a OS that is very similar in appearance.
September 1, 2010
Apple is set to release iOS 4.2 in November this year, however it’s an iPad only firmware and brings all the iOS 4 features such as printing, multitasking etc. to the iPad. The most interesting new feature is AirPlay, it allows you to stream music and video straight to your iPad over WiFi (with an iPad even acting as host for the new Apple TV).
As mentioned before printing has been brought to iOS 4 with the iPad using the Printer Center applet that sits in the dock and lets you manage print jobs.