November 20, 2019
As a mainly MacOS user I have ran into the issue of Teamviewer hanging due to two of my MacOS machines trying copying the contents of the clipboard between the two machines continually. Luckily the workaround for this, until Teamviewer release a fix, is quite simple.
- Open Teamviewer on MacOS and head to the settings.
- Click on Advanced.
- Scroll down and untick Clipboard synchronization
- Click Apply
Doing this workaround will mean that your clipboards won’t sync when using Teamviewer, but until an official fix is released this should help resolve the issue.
October 10, 2019
One of the first things I do when booting up my testing machines and VM’s is run an update script that checks and upgrades any packages on Kali to ensure that I am always running the latest builds, it appears as of the other day doing so broke a core feature of Kali and removed the Files application, which by default is Nautilus. As much as I’m sure there will be a fix pushed out soon, here are the instructions on how to re-install nautilus:
- Open up your terminal of choose
- Download the deb files as follows:
- wget http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnome-desktop3/libgnome-desktop-3-18_3.34.1-1_amd64.deb
- wget http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnome-desktop3/gnome-desktop3-data_3.34.1-1_all.deb
- Now install both files using the following commands:
- dpkg -i gnome-desktop3-data_3.34.1-1_all.deb
- dpkg -i libgnome-desktop-3-18_3.34.1-1_amd64.deb
- Now install nautilus using the following command:
- apt install nautilus
May 8, 2018
As far as Linux has come over the past few years, there are still the odd issues you might come across, one of which is whilst running updates, you may sometimes get support updates. If you find yourself with the following error or something similar then this quick how to may help you.
First of all in the terminal you will receive an error which tells you which software update has corrupted, make a note of this name as you will need it.
Then in the terminal enter the following commands:
- cd /var/cache/apt/archives
- sudo rm name_of_corrupt_file.deb
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get upgrade
June 14, 2016
After Apple announced Picture in Picture mode for iOS in iOS 9, it has become a extremely useful feature for those who like to multitask as they work on their iOS device. Most entertainment apps finally caught up over the following months by adding PiP support to their apps, however Netflix still didn’t offer this feature, albeit more difficult as they weren’t using the stock iOS video player. This all changed today when Netflix announced their latest app update with the addition of PiP but only for devices running the latest 9.3.2 firmware. Knowing that the PiP APIs were introduced back in 9.0, I decided to take a look and see if this version restriction can be bypassed and it can for anyone running a jailbroken device.
If you are running a jailbroken device then following these instructions should enable the feature for you without any issues, however as always follow the instructions carefully and any damage caused is entirely your responsibility. This has only been tested on iOS 9.1, but should work on any 9.x firmware.
- Install OpenSSH or MTerminal
- Log in or SSH into your iOS device as root (default password is alpine)
- If you are planning to keep OpenSSH installed on your device then please change your root password, instructions on how to do so can be found here.
- Navigate to the following directory: /System/Library/CoreServices/
- If you are using SSH then use your preferred editor to open SystemVersion.plist, I used nano to edit the file.
- If you are using MTerminal then you will need to install your preferred editor on Cydia.
- Open the file and navigate down to the ProductBuildVersion key and change the string value to 13F72.
- Go down to the Product Version key and change the string value to 9.3.2, as shown below.
- Now save and exit out of the editor, uninstall OpenSSH if you don’t plan on using it again. (Note: if you are using Pangu 9.0.x Untether then it will try to uninstall this when using Cydia as it thinks the system version is in fact 9.3.2 and therefore unsupported)
- Reboot your device, it will appear as if you have upgraded your device and ask you to log into iCloud, however everything is still in tact and you are still running the original version of the OS.
- Ensure you are on the latest version of the Netflix app and choose a title to watch, press the home button and now you should have a PiP view of the title.
June 7, 2016
Although Blackboard the VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) is known for it’s bugs here and there, one that is either down to user error or an issue with the platform is the My Grades tab disappearing from module shells, this simple hack has come in very useful in the past as it allows you to check your grades as long as they have been published without waiting for the My Grades tab to be enabled. There are valid reasons why this tab will sometimes be hidden, such as marks not being moderated and finalised at board level, depending on the level of education.
To access the My Grades tab for any module it is a simple task of URL manipulation, below is the usual format for the My Grades tab, however do note that it varies based on institution.
The two parts that need changing are presented in bold, the first being the institution domain and the second is the course ID, this will be different to the course code but can be found by navigating to the shell for the module you want to get the grades of, you then enter the course ID into the URL and the My Grades page will be shown.
If you know the My Grades tab should be visible, then inform your lecturer of this as it is usually just down to user error that it is not shown at the right time.
April 25, 2011
iPhone balance notifications are probably the only downside to having an iPhone on Pay As You Go, every time you send a message, make a phone call or use data without having a data package in place, you will have to dismiss your balance every time. It may be nice to sometimes see your balance, but if you send a lot of SMS messages like me then it soon gets frustrating.
I decided to research the subject a few months ago to see if there was any way of removing it, a few threads on some forums but no conclusive answer. I got in touch with O2 to get it removed but back then they told me that you couldn’t remove it. There was nothing in Cydia to get rid of it either. But yesterday I got in touch with O2 again, after reading that the carrier can turn it off at their end and I woke up this morning without having to see the balance notification screen. So to remove the balance screen just get in touch with your carrier, whether it be O2 or any other carrier worldwide and they should be able to disable it for you. I hope this has helped and leave your success stories in the comments.
November 1, 2010
Mike Pan has successfully modified system files on the iPhone 3GS to record HD video at 30fps.
The video is recorded at 1080×800 at up to 20Mbps, this is a big improvement from the default 640×480 at 3Mbps. The unusual size is used to keep the video at the right aspect ratio when recording. You can also change the resolution to 960×720 if you so prefer.
It does take a little longer for the 3GS to focus and the quality won’t be as good as that on the iPhone 4 but it’s a nice improvement especially if you’re not moving the phone a lot.
First of all make sure you have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS on iOS 4.1, then ensure you install OpenSSH and you know your iPhone’s IP Address. Next download the relevant patch files, depending on your resolution prefenrence.
Once you have downloaded the relevant patch extract it. In the extracted folder you should have the following files:
Launch your favourite SSH client and connect to your iPhone. Once you’ve connected navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/
Now locate the file N88AP.plist, rename it and add .bak to the end of the filename, this will act as a backup file so that you can revert to the original setting.
Now drag the N88AP.plist that you downloaded and put it in the same folder as the original was in.
Now navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/N88/
Now locate the files:
Rename them all and add .bak to the end of the filenames.
Now drag the AVCapture.plist, CameraRollValidator.plist, and MediaValidator.plist files that you downloaded and put it in the same folder as you just navigated to.
Now just restart your iPhone 3GS and your HD video recording will be enabled.
August 4, 2010
For all those of you who have used the JailbreakMe.com method of jailbreaking then you took advantage of a PDF exploit in the Safari application. This is good that you can jailbreak your device so easily but it also means anyone with the right know how can run code on your iDevice. This means that if in the wrong hands it could be used for malicious purposes.
The iPhone Dev-Team or Apple will eventually patch the PDF hole, probably the latter. For now you need to make sure your device is protected so that you don’t fall into any malicious traps. You need to install a Cydia package called PDF Loading Warner, this package displays a pop-up when your device is about to open a PDF. It won’t stop this exploit but it will let you choose not to open a PDF that might be malicious. It has caused some issues with iBooks when opening PDF files as you have to dismiss the pop-up numerous times. However it’s a small price to pay for such an easy jailbreak.
November 3, 2009
As many have been prompted by the recent icident, including Dutch iPhones on T-Mobile, the SSH on the iPhone has a default password which most people do not change, leaving themselfs unprotected. Here’s the quick guide to change your root password on your iPhone.
Please note that some guides will change the mobile password, however this will still leave you unprotected so ensure you follow these instructions carefully.
- Download ‘MobileTerminal’ from Cydia.
- Run MobileTerminal
- Type ‘passwd’
- Enter your new password
- Enter it again
- Type ‘su root’
- Then Type: ‘alpine’ (iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS) ‘dottie’ (iPhone 2G)
- Press Return
- Type ‘passwd’
- Enter your new password
- Enter it again
- Now your iPhone is secure from SSH hacking