Steve Jobs has just officially announced the iPad, the tablet device which has been leaked recently is now a reality. And due to popular rumor it is in appearance an oversized iPhone/iPod Touch.
It runs a modified version of the iPhone OS and runs Mobile Safari as shown at the event, but with no Flash.
The iPad comes as follows:
- 16, 32 and 64GB models.
- 802.11n WiFi
- .5 inches thin
- 1.5 pounds
- 9.7 inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
- 1024×768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR
- 1GHz Apple Chip
- Supports OpenGLS
- Pixel Double to run app’s at double size or original.
- iBook (Apple’s eBook reader) [uses the ePub format for the iBook app, which means it’s open.]
- 720p HD Video Playback
- 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
- $14.99 for 250MB of data
- $29.99 for unlimited
- Free use of AT&T WiFi Hotspots
- No contract
- International deals by June
- iPad 3G models are unlocked
- WiFi model shipping in 60 days, worldwide.
- 3G model shipping in 90 days.
- 16GB $499 (£309)
- 32GB $599 (£370)
- 64GB $699 (£433)
Pricing (WiFi & 3G)
- 16GB $629 (£389)
- 32GB $729 (£451)
- 64GB $829 (£513)
Note: British prices have not been released by Apple yet and they are only converted from US Dollars to give people an idea of price.
Many of the new features coming with the new iPhone OS are features that are already available and also one’s we wanted, but didn’t get are also available.
Now for these you do have to jailbrake your iPhone/iPod Touch, which as Apple recently stated is illegal, so we don’t encourage you to do this but we are giving you the information so that if you wish to do so then you know how.
First of you must Jailbrake you iPhone or iPod Touch now for this go to the QuickPWN site or for more information go to the Dev-Team’s Blog.
The features, followed by there Jailbroken alternatives (available on Cydia):
Copy & Paste – hClipboard
Video Recording – Cycorder
Flash – iMobileCinema
Background Processes – Backgrounder
Tethering – Modem
Spotlight – Searcher
MMS – SwirlyMMS
YouTube Downloading – MxTube
Organised Icons – Categories
They may not be exactly like how Apple has implemted them in the 3.0 OS, but whilst you wait for the release of OS 3.0, you can give these a shot.
With the new Apple iPhone 3.0 OS we have many new features that the userbase have been wanting for months, but still there are some things that were left out that we wanted.
- Video Recording – It can be done, as possible on Jailbroken devices to a good standard, achieveing higer quality than most mobile phones on the market.
- Full Bluetooth Support – Yes, we may now have AD2P but what about transferring photos, songs etc. to other devices other iPhones or devices. Obviously I can see the problem with music due to DRM and copyright issues.
- Demo Apps – Yes many App’s come with a lite version but people want to try the full thing, maybe for a 24 hour period or maybe 5 uses of the App but just be able to test App’s would allow people to make there mind up and be more satisfied. And would also cut down the piracy of iPhone App’s.
- Flash – Rumours have been around for along time that it would finally come to iPhone, even people at Adobe said there working on it, just please make it soon.
- Background App’s – We now have push which helps and although I can see the power problems with background app’s it is possible. It’s true it can make the iPhone unstable due to memory issues and so I understand why at the moment it’s not been implmemted; maybe with better hardware or more battery power then it would be a good option.
Many of the things we wanted in 3.0 have been implemeted, we know that the things that have been left out are possible as they are possible if you jailbrake the phone but I understand the technical issues that Apple has with things such as Background App’s and Full Bluetooth Support but Video Recording and Demo App’s shouldn’t be that hard to implment, Maybe OS 3.1?