For all those who updated the iPhone/iPod firmware to 3.o, like me, many of you will be waiting for a jailbrake for the iPhone Dev-Team. They have jailbroken the firmware, as they did the Beta’s but are trying to sort out some deep issues with the YouTube app, however as they stated on their blog:
“we’ll try our best to get it fixed but we may end up releasing a preliminary jailbreak in which YouTube doesn’t work for hacktivated devices, and then follow that up with a more complete jailbreak when we can.”
According to the Dev-Team’s blog however the YouTube app problem only affects those who unofficially activated their device, so for all the rest the more complete jailbrake wouldn’t be necessary.
The release of the tools to jailbrake the devices should of been released soon after Apple’s release of 3.0, however due to these completcations they should be releassed later today along with ultrasn0w. For those who have gotten a iPhone 3G S, you will have to wait a little while longer for the jailbrake.
PwnageTool 3.0 (Mac)
Redsn0w 0.7.1 (Windows)
Redsn0w 0.7 (Mac)
PwnageTool 3.0 (Mac)
Redsn0w 0.7.1 (Windows)
Redsn02 0.7 (Mac)
So if your in the UK, like me then you know that YouTube don’t allow you to view official music videos anymore due to a debate over pay to the artists.
But there is a way round all this!
You could use a proxy, yes but there slow and fustrating so use this easy tip to view videos if there blocked in your region.
Simply change the url from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<somecode> to http://www.youtube.com/v/<somecode>
And like that the video should play.
If your like many you use video sharing sites such as YouTube, to view your music videos online. However most of the time it’s through the official music label’s YouTube, as they remove most videos that users have uploaded off. However 99% of the time the user who uploaded it doesn’t get a say in things, YouTube will automatically take down the video once a claim is made.
But it’s not all like this. Some of you will have heard of You Me At Six, a rock band from Weybridge, Surrey.
With the upcoming release of their new single, Finders Keepers, many fans flocked to YouTube to try and find the music video. However for the first few days only bad quality TV recordings were available. However You Me At Six posted the official video to Myspace and so I took it from Myspace and put it up on YouTube, therefore becoming the first high quality version of the video.
After a few days the band put up the video on there channel and so messaged me to take it down, not just taking it down as other bands would. However I was reluctant seeing as on Bebo its had a total of 115,555 views and is on 881 profiles, so I added in the album & single pre-order links to my video to see if this would be okay.
However today I recieved an email from them saying:
Really sorry but the label are insisting that you take the video for Finders Keepers down as they really want people to view the video on our channel.
We would really appreciate it if you could help us out with this as its puts us in a difficult position.
Thanks for your help in promoting the video especially on bebo. If you could direct anyone to the official video we would be eternally grateful!!
Thanks a lot
As a result I will be taking the video down as I’m a big fan and think that it’s fair that the original band should get credit for their video. But unlike other artists, You Me At Six understand that me uploading the video is promoting it whereas most artists believe it’s stealing from them.
Goes to show that not all of the music industry is evil.
Many of the new features coming with the new iPhone OS are features that are already available and also one’s we wanted, but didn’t get are also available.
Now for these you do have to jailbrake your iPhone/iPod Touch, which as Apple recently stated is illegal, so we don’t encourage you to do this but we are giving you the information so that if you wish to do so then you know how.
First of you must Jailbrake you iPhone or iPod Touch now for this go to the QuickPWN site or for more information go to the Dev-Team’s Blog.
The features, followed by there Jailbroken alternatives (available on Cydia):
Copy & Paste – hClipboard
Video Recording – Cycorder
Flash – iMobileCinema
Background Processes – Backgrounder
Tethering – Modem
Spotlight – Searcher
MMS – SwirlyMMS
YouTube Downloading – MxTube
Organised Icons – Categories
They may not be exactly like how Apple has implemted them in the 3.0 OS, but whilst you wait for the release of OS 3.0, you can give these a shot.
Apple have just had there iPhone OS 3.0 Preview event down in Cupertino.
It seems like finally they have listened to a lot of the public’s outcry, it may of took them a while but at least they got there.
The beta of this update is avaiable to developers now and will be out in this Summer to the rest of us. It will be free to all iPhone 3G users and $9.95 for iPod Touch users. It will work on the first gen iPhone but due to hardware limitations MMS and AD2P will not work on the first gen device.
App & Developer Functionality
- Peer-to-peer connectivity over Bluetooth for gaming and other info-swapping.
- Paid apps will have the potential to be subscription fee-based, and can include optional paid content that can be bought from right inside the app.
- Developers can now build apps that call out to Google Maps, and can also finally bring turn-by-turn to the phone.
- Devs can also connect with hardware accessories over in their apps now.
- Long-promised push functionality will at last be included, but apps won’t run in the background.
- Developers can add streaming video and audio to their apps, along with in-game voice use.
- Cut, copy and paste. At last! You can shake the phone to undo and redo the action, and it works with both text and photos, allowing Mail to send multiple photos at a time.
- MMS, along with forward and delete for multiple messages.
- A2DP stereo Bluetooth.
- Unlocked Bluetooth functionality on 2G iPod touch.
- Spotlight has been added to a new home screen page to the left of existing pages, allowing for universal search on the phone.
- Tethering is built into 3.0
- App Store will be available in 77 countries.
- A new app called Voice Memos which lets you record notes and reminders.
- A revised Stocks app, with news stories and a landscape view.
- Landscape keyboard available in all major apps.
- CalDAV support has been added to Calendar, along with subscriptions support in the .ics format.
- Apple’s major apps have all been expanded with search functionality.
- Note Sync to sync your notes.
- YouTube account support.
- Form auto-fill.
- Phishing protection.