July 1, 2009
Apple released the iPhone OS & SDK 3.1 Beta yesterday. Here’s a list of what people have found to be changed so far:
– MMS is now enabled by default (Still not supported by AT&T).
– A “Fraud Protection” toggle is now available in Safari settings.
– Voice Control over Bluetooth is now available, allowing users to Initiate calls and control music playback via Bluetooth headsets.
– iPhone startup and shutdown and app launching times have improved.
– Trimming video clips on the iPhone 3GS now offers the ability to save the edited version as a copy rather than simply overwriting the original file.
– New APIs allow developers of third-party application to access and edit videos.
– iPhone vibrates when rearranging Home screen icons.
– OpenGL and Quartz have seen improvements.
June 17, 2009
For all those who haven’t been sitting constantly clicking the update button in iTunes, waiting for the new update or been complaining on Twitter how it was 5 minutes late, then to let you know the OS 3.0 firmware for iPod Touch and iPhone is out.
iPhone 1G – Download
iPhone 3G – Download
If your in the UK like me then you must update certain settings once you have upgraded to ensure your internet works and MMS.
These are for Pay As You Go Customers, for Pay Montly or other go here.
- First change your APN from idata.o2.co.uk and enter payandgo.o2.co.uk (Passwords and username remain the same)
- Repeat for MMS settings.
- Turn the phone off, and then back on.
- Send a text saying ‘MMS’ to 1010, once O2 has set up MMS for your account a MMS will be sent to you.
March 18, 2009
Many of the new features coming with the new iPhone OS are features that are already available and also one’s we wanted, but didn’t get are also available.
Now for these you do have to jailbrake your iPhone/iPod Touch, which as Apple recently stated is illegal, so we don’t encourage you to do this but we are giving you the information so that if you wish to do so then you know how.
First of you must Jailbrake you iPhone or iPod Touch now for this go to the QuickPWN site or for more information go to the Dev-Team’s Blog.
The features, followed by there Jailbroken alternatives (available on Cydia):
Copy & Paste – hClipboard
Video Recording – Cycorder
Flash – iMobileCinema
Background Processes – Backgrounder
Tethering – Modem
Spotlight – Searcher
MMS – SwirlyMMS
YouTube Downloading – MxTube
Organised Icons – Categories
They may not be exactly like how Apple has implemted them in the 3.0 OS, but whilst you wait for the release of OS 3.0, you can give these a shot.
March 17, 2009
Apple have just had there iPhone OS 3.0 Preview event down in Cupertino.
It seems like finally they have listened to a lot of the public’s outcry, it may of took them a while but at least they got there.
The beta of this update is avaiable to developers now and will be out in this Summer to the rest of us. It will be free to all iPhone 3G users and $9.95 for iPod Touch users. It will work on the first gen iPhone but due to hardware limitations MMS and AD2P will not work on the first gen device.
App & Developer Functionality
- Peer-to-peer connectivity over Bluetooth for gaming and other info-swapping.
- Paid apps will have the potential to be subscription fee-based, and can include optional paid content that can be bought from right inside the app.
- Developers can now build apps that call out to Google Maps, and can also finally bring turn-by-turn to the phone.
- Devs can also connect with hardware accessories over in their apps now.
- Long-promised push functionality will at last be included, but apps won’t run in the background.
- Developers can add streaming video and audio to their apps, along with in-game voice use.
- Cut, copy and paste. At last! You can shake the phone to undo and redo the action, and it works with both text and photos, allowing Mail to send multiple photos at a time.
- MMS, along with forward and delete for multiple messages.
- A2DP stereo Bluetooth.
- Unlocked Bluetooth functionality on 2G iPod touch.
- Spotlight has been added to a new home screen page to the left of existing pages, allowing for universal search on the phone.
- Tethering is built into 3.0
- App Store will be available in 77 countries.
- A new app called Voice Memos which lets you record notes and reminders.
- A revised Stocks app, with news stories and a landscape view.
- Landscape keyboard available in all major apps.
- CalDAV support has been added to Calendar, along with subscriptions support in the .ics format.
- Apple’s major apps have all been expanded with search functionality.
- Note Sync to sync your notes.
- YouTube account support.
- Form auto-fill.
- Phishing protection.